Foods for Underweight Babies

My son has always been a very active baby. Even during my ultra sound screenings, my husband and I were told that he was an active baby. He gained weight very well during the first four months of his life. However, once he began to roll over and started to become more mobile, his weight leveled off. He was on solids at this point, eating baby cereals and pureed fruits and vegetables along with his milk. He generally ate well, but he also burned off a great deal of energy. I became concerned when his weight remained the same for several months at a time, and only increased by two pounds over the course of 5 months, from age 6 to 11 months.

Here's what worked for us:

1. Avocado - the doctor suggested I feed my son avocado as it has a lot of good fat and calories. Every morning, along with his milk, cereal, and fruits, I fed him 3 tbsp of mashed avocado. That change alone helped him gain 1 pound in a three week span. I don't know, maybe he was due for a growth spurt then anyway, but eating avocado can only be good for him. One thing to note is that avocado has a lot of soluble fibre, so make sure your baby is well hydrated.

2. Yogurt - after the initial 1 pound gain after feeding him avocado, my son's weight leveled off again for a month, which is fine. At this point, he was a year old, so I could give him dairy products. I fed him Minigo yogurt, along with his usual breakfast.

3. Cheese - when I first tried to introduce cheese to my son in cube or grated form, he wanted nothing to do with it. Then I made a grilled cheese for him, and cut it into tiny cubes. He couldn't get enough of it.

4. Starch - I can't count how many types of pasta shapes I've offered to my son. He didn't seem to like any of them. Then, when I was about to give up on pasta, I found one called Ditali. It's like a small round hollow cylinder. Once cooked it's a perfect size for babies to pick up with their fingers. Add some pasta sauce and let your baby go at it. Breads are also very popular with babies. My son likes Subway's parmesan oregano bread and other soft breads.

5. Meat/protein - so far, my baby has not really taken to much meat. However, he loves to eat organic deli turkey slices. I just cut them into small squares for him. There is also a type of fried tofu that he loves. I don't give him the chewy skin on the outside, but he loves the soft inside part of the tofu.

These are only a few food ideas to help your baby gain weight. Keep trying to introduce different varieties of these categories of foods. There will be things your baby likes and you will see a pattern as to the flavor, or texture that is preferred by your baby and expand from there. Along with these, babies should also eat a variety of fruits and vegetables in their diet. Also, babies should not gain too much weight in a short period of time since it can strain their bones and joints which are only beginning to develop.

For more articles like these, please visit my blog:
http://mom2momshareexperience.blogspot.com/
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Samantha_Vu

No comments:

Post a Comment